Workplace cleanliness should be a priority for all businesses. Without cleanliness, a business facility isn’t safe, and if a business facility isn’t safe, it cannot operate successfully.
Cleanliness is essential in all facilities, indoor or outdoor, public or private. This includes facilities such as:
- Retail spaces and shopping malls
- Restaurants and cafes
- Hospitals and health centres
- Museums and libraries
- Airports and airport runways
- Car parks
- Parks and playgrounds
- Construction sites
- Leisure centres
All of the above facilities experience a lot of foot traffic from the likes of customers, employees, contractors, clients, guests and more. Therefore, it is vital that each premises is safe to use for all that visit it.
To find out more about why cleanliness is so important in the workplace – as well as how it can benefit your business – and how you can ensure your facility adheres to national health and safety standards, keep reading.
The law around health and safety
Having a clean facility means that anyone who passes through your space has a pleasant experience, but cleanliness is about way more than aesthetics – it’s about safety and abiding by the law.
The Australian Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) guidelines state clearly that all workspaces should promote safety and involve minimal risk. The guidelines are as stated:
- Provide safe work premises
- Assess risks and implement appropriate measures for controlling them
- Ensure safe use and handling of goods and substances
- Provide and maintain safe machinery and materials
- Assess workplace layout and provide safe systems of work
- Provide a suitable working environment and facilities
- Have insurance and workers’ compensation insurance for your employees
If a business does not comply with the above guidelines, it could run the risk of breaking the law and being landed with a hefty fine.
An unclean working environment: the risks
A workspace that is not clean is a hazard. It can pose tremendous risks to all that visit it. Risks can include contamination, falls, trips and slips. Hazards can be a lot of things, such as:
- Wires, chords, debris and litter obstructing walkways
- Spillages, leakages and wet floors that are not signposted
- Dirty and bacteria-ridden equipment and public spaces
All of the above pose a threat as they could cause accident, injury or illness.
A clean working environment: the benefits
There are many benefits to having a clean working environment:
- A clean environment is more attractive to customers. This promotes business success in the form of interaction and sales
- A clean environment promotes productivity. Work can get done more effectively and more smoothly if there are no hazards or risks
- A clean environment increases employee satisfaction and retention. Employees and contractors are more likely to stay loyal to your business and work hard if they feel safe and respected
- A clean environment increases industry reputation. Your business will gain credibility if it respects not only its space but the people that operate within it.
Overall, cleanliness is the key to successful business operations.
The modern-day solution
Ensuring your workplace is clean at all times is essential, but for some businesses, relying on manual cleaning methods and traditional housekeeping isn’t realistic or efficient.
If your facility is large and experiences a lot of foot traffic, you may consider investing in an commercial floor cleaner to keep on-site. These are high-powered machines that are designed to sweep and scrub large expanses of ground – indoor or outdoor – in a short amount of time. They are ideal for spaces such as warehouses, factories, airport runways, shopping malls, etc., as they can get the job done fast, meaning the facility does not have to shut its doors and cease its operations for long. There are different styles and sizes of industrial floor cleaners to suit different facilities, and they are available to buy or rent.
When running a business, cleanliness should never be overlooked. Keep your premises clean and safe, and you will experience greater workplace productivity from your employees and greater response from your customers. Not to mention, you will stay on the right side of the law.
To read more on topics like this, check out the business category.
Leave a Reply