Owning and running a restaurant can be exciting and rewarding. While it might also seem like an overwhelming venture, it doesn’t have to be and can be made easier with just the right tools.
One of the most critical tools for a successful restaurant is an advanced point of sale system. The best restaurant POS software has a number of essential functions that can be a game-changer in terms of the overall success of your business.
Point of Sale Systems Do More Than You Think
A POS system is invaluable in allowing you to handle any volume of card or cash sales throughout the day. The customer can also rest assured that if they swipe, their card information is completely secure.
However, many people are under the misconception that POS software for restaurants merely serves to accept payments for meal orders. In reality, however, there is much more you can do with your POS system.
The latest and greatest POS systems are so advanced, they can handle many processes for your restaurant. They include the following:
- Track inventory: Today’s POS systems can keep track of your inventory to ensure that you have enough of a certain product. They can even send notifications if you begin to run low on supplies.
- Customer loyalty: One of the most important things about running a restaurant is building and maintaining a good relationship with customers. Your POS software can help to track customer loyalty as well as customer behavior and other aspects. You can also use it to send personalized marketing or rewards to them.
- Sales reports: POS systems can generate sales reports that show which items are best-selling and which are not as popular.
- Employee scheduling: As you can see, many advanced point-of-sale tools aid with operational tasks. This includes managing employee scheduling within the device, which can help with time management and productivity.
- Customized menus: POS devices and software can help you to build customized menus for your restaurant and can easily aid in alternating or updating menus.
How Can Your POS System Help You Grow?
The many functions of advanced point-of-sale software can help you transform and scale your restaurant. Most systems are integrated into the cloud, which means that your customers’ information is faster and easier to access anytime from anywhere. Payments are quick and simple, which shows your customers that you genuinely value their time, while automation within the POS system helps with seamless transactions.
Since the tools are cloud-based, they also work great for franchises with multiple locations because the devices can easily communicate with one another.
The right POS software can also keep accurate records of all aspects of the business and help your restaurant to flourish. It can show how your business is doing as a whole and show you where your strengths and weaknesses are and help you to improve certain areas, if necessary.
Example of POS Functionality
Point-of-sale systems are not always behind a counter, manned by a cashier. For example, in recent years, Panera Bread updated their POS system to include kiosks as an alternative to standing in long lines.
Customers can quickly order their meal on a kiosk and pay from it as well. They can freely customize their meal by removing or adding ingredients as well, which makes for a more personalized experience and ideal order.
POS is the one tool that can transform your restaurant. If you are using a basic cash register in your restaurant, it is time to find the right advanced system to do just what you need for success.