Everyone loves to travel to somewhere exotic or alluring, such as romantic Verona or tropical Singapore. Even simple road trips or train journeys within your own country offer up a myriad number of opportunities for adventure and excitement. The chance to not only get away from your normal life and see new cultures but also grab some awesome life experiences is why travel is so loved.
With the average cost of a trip for US citizens rising to over $6,000 and destinations such as Bali and Athens showing rises in visitor numbers, it seems that traveling to new places is as popular as ever. Of course, one thing that you will have to grapple with is what to do when actually moving between places.
Stave off those boredom blues
If you are planning a trip abroad, then you need to think of how to stay entertained when traveling. Those long flights or lengthy bus rides can really drag if you don’t have anything lined up to make them more bearable. Here are a few great ways to get ready for that next overseas jaunt and stay amused when traveling:
- Listen to music – one great option to beat boredom when moving about is to listen to music. Taking the time to catch up on the latest tunes or discover new artists will help pass those hours in a fun way. You could also create a few holiday playlists to remind you of your trip or to listen to when you get to your destination. Just remember your headphones so that you do not annoy the other passengers!
- Online lottery games – if you have your smartphone or tablet, then playing online lottery games is worth considering. Instant win games could also net you some extra spending money – check out this selection of instant win games at FreeLotto.com to see exactly how they work. This is an enjoyable and fun way to spend some time when on a plane, bus or train.
- Read a book – why not go a bit old school on your next foreign trip away and read a book? It will take you a few hours easily to get through a good-sized one and make you forget about boredom altogether. A good book will also transport you into its world and take you away from that annoying person next to you! Even better, a book never runs out of charge and doesn’t need plugging in to work.
- Plan your trip – beating boredom when traveling does not always have to be purely a leisure activity. Why not get productive when you are stuck in the car and plan what you will do when you arrive at your destination? This will save you the time of doing it when you are there and means that you can have more time to enjoy yourself.
- Social media – where would all the travelers in the world be without social media?! It really is one of the easiest and most pleasant ways to distract yourself until you get to where you are headed. Log onto your social media accounts to post some new messages, catch up with friends and see what is new.
- Sleep – of course, staying entertained when traveling doesn’t always mean staying awake! Why not take the chance to catch some sleep and recharge your batteries? This will not only see you in a better mood when you touch down but also be full of energy to explore the new city you are in.
Why not phone a friend?
One other amazing thing that you could do to keep boredom at bay when traveling is to phone a friend. This could be in the traditional way or you could video call them via Skype or FaceTime. This will not only allow you to catch up with them but also make you both feel better for having said hello. Just be careful not to go over your data allowance or minutes though or you could end up with a big bill when you get back.
Make sure you say goodbye to boredom
If you are about to head off around the world, then it may seem strange to be thinking of ways to beat boredom. The problem is that while it is lots of fun seeing the places you are going to, actually getting there is not. Hanging around a train station or airport waiting lounge is not anyone’s idea of fun. By taking a few of the above tips into account when planning your trip, you will be well prepared to enjoy the journey as much as the destination itself.
Leave a Reply