Unless you are an interior decorator or someone who has extensive knowledge about furniture, identifying distinct styles is not always easy. Most people buy furniture according to what looks good, and not based on a particular design. But a basic understanding of popular furniture styles can help you choose which best works for your space. Nonetheless, there are no exact rules for decorating, so here is a list of the most popular styles of furniture used in homes today.
Modern furniture design became popular at the beginning of the 20th century. The idea is to focus on simplicity by using clean lines and neutral colours. Some features of modern furniture include:
- Geometric, clean, and crisp shapes and patterns.
- Neutral and primary colour palettes such as predominant use of white and black.
- Typical materials used in modern furniture are metal, glass, and natural unpolished wood highlighting the grain.
- Use of leather, vinyl, and microfibre for upholstery.
Modern furniture from suppliers like www.kuldea.com can be the centrepiece of modern interior décor, with minimal use of accents and accessories.
Traditional or classic furniture is found in most European inspired homes. Traditional furniture is characterised by deep hues and heavy use of wood. Classic furniture looks elegant and luxurious with a lot of decorative and ornamental details.
- Traditional furniture features curved lines and classic silhouettes. Winged back chairs and claw feet are familiar details associated with this style.
- Colours range from rich browns, mahogany, merlot, beige, and white.
- Upholstery details also tend to be more luxurious using fabric like cotton, velvet, and leather. Floral patterns and damask are also widely used in traditional furniture design.
In contrast to modern furniture, traditional design uses a lot of embellishment, accents, and accessories.
Many people confuse contemporary with modern design. The contemporary design mimics a few elements of modern design, but in general, what is considered contemporary is what’s current or popular now.
- Recent trends in contemporary furniture design focus on combining natural materials like wood with hard elements like metal. Contemporary furniture also uses glass and plastic as well as other experimental materials like hemp and bamboo.
Contemporary design is also minimalistic and simple with clean, crisp lines and neutral colours.
Transitional furniture combines traditional and modern designs to give a balance to classic style elements and give it a modern approach. The goal of transitional interior design is to retain the elegance of classic furniture but update it to match what is current and trendy.
- Transitional style furniture maintains the simple, clean lines of modern design but adds elegant touches of wood and other luxurious materials and fabrics.
- Transitional design allows for experimentation with colour, which means you will not have to stick to a neutral palette.
You can also include accents and accessories like a patterned rug and throw pillows. The key here is to look for pieces of furniture that are simple and elegant and combine them with accessories that are modern and sleek which will seamlessly blend two styles together.
Leave a Reply