Preparing for your first business trip can be an intimidating task. Especially if you are going on an international business trip. Traveling for work is entirely different than traveling for pleasure. When you travel on vacation you have a proper itinerary and you can go astray and do whatever you like.
You pack differently, you act differently than you would do on a business trip. It is not that hard to prepare for your first business trip if you know what to do. We will guide how to pack, act and behave on your business trip.
Check Your Documents:
Check if you have your passport or not, check if you have your visa. Make sure nothing is expiring. If so, get it renewed before the trip. Make sure you check all your required documents and sort them out one day before you leave. Make a folder and keep it in your hand-carry the night before.
Keeping your documents in your hand-carry the night before is a great way to make sure you never forget it.
Get Yourself Vaccinated if Needed:
To travel to some countries you should have certain vaccines and make sure you are ahead of time. Schedule appoints to get yourself vaccinated weeks before you apply for the visa. Or your company applies for the visa.
It can take a while to get an appointment. So, don’t leave it till the end. You may not get an appointment and without these vaccinations, you will not be allowed to travel.
Pack Light: Pack Very Light!
You will need formal clothes and a few light casual clothes and keep the color of casual clothes neutral. Don’t take red and bright blues and other bright colors. Don’t take too many shoes with you take 3 pairs including slippers.
You will be tempted to over pack. Just have your basics covered. Make sure you have your formal meeting on business clothes. Make sure you have some casual clothes. Just know the dress code and you will be able to pack light.
Don’t take too many toiletries. Just take travel size item. Business trips are not that long and one travel size bottles of all the basic toiletries should last you the whole trip.
Don’t pack too many times. Pack only a couple. If you intend to shop than you should leave space in your suitcase for that.
Plan Your Meetings: Create an Itinerary
Even though you will most likely be traveling with the company and business travel agencies will be responsible for your trip. Email whoever you will be meeting during the trip make sure you double-check the time of the meeting and schedule your day according to that.
Don’t waste your time and others. Plan ahead. Create a list of where you will be going whether it is for business or pleasure. However, it is highly advised to make the business your priority and then think about leisure time. But still, make a list of everything.
Things To Remember:
- Make sure you know a little about the culture of the country just so you’re not blinded by your own beliefs. Be considerate and try not to offend anyone. For that, you just google things you should not do in a blank country. You will be able to find some useful info and learn a little about their culture.
- Take your medicines with you. If you are traveling for a week take two weeks worth of medicines with you. If you are not on a specific medicine take your pain killers. Get them in a travel size.
- Take vitamins a week before your trip to strengthen your immune system so that the change of cuisine doesn’t affect your stomach. This is important if you want to stay well during the whole trip.
- Make sure you talk to your credit company before you leave if you plan on using your credit card there. Otherwise, they will freeze the card if they see it is being used internationally. Make sure you take enough cash with you if you only plan on using cash.
- Make sure you take all your necessary electronics with you. Keep a good power bank for on the go. Make sure you take the adapters that are needed to charge your devices.
- Make sure you download all the documents that are needed for the trip, and most of the important stuff should be on your phone and laptop. In case you don’t find an internet connection somewhere.
- Make sure you have back up all the important files in case something goes wrong with the computer.
Preparing for a business trip is not a hard task at all you just have to know what to do and you should know how to manage things. Management is the key here. Remember to plan and pack light.